background

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Self-Esteem

Dear Layla,

"I Like Myself" is a song that I teach my First graders at school.  The lyrics are:
I like myself (clap, clap, clap, clap)
I like myself (clap, clap, clap, clap)
I like my hair (pretend to flip your hair over your shoulder)
I like my chin (touch your chin)
I like my skin I'm all wrapped in (give yourself a hug)
I like myself (clap, clap, clap, clap)
I like myself (clap, clap, clap, clap)

It's been stuck in my head lately, so you've heard it quite a few times during bath time. Sometimes you listen and smile, other times you completely ignore me and do your own thing. Tonight you proved that you are starting to learn the song when you would hug yourself when I said, "I like myself".  

It's so much fun to watch you learn and even more miraculous when I am able to capture it on video.  There's even a little "bonus" footage of you trying to put your shoe on and giving yourself applause. 

It's really too bad that everyone can't have such high self-esteem like you do.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment